Welcome to GovCMS
GovCMS is a whole-of-government service provided by the Department of Finance. The service gives agencies the tools to build, migrate and manage websites.
GovCMS uses Drupal to power a content management system. We also manage a secure website hosting service built to comply with Australian Government standards.
Both Drupal 7 and Drupal 8 are available and supported by the platform.
Why use GovCMS
GovCMS is available to all levels of government and solves many of the problems that agencies face managing their web presence, including:
- having limited resources to ensure the security of their websites
- having limited staff with the necessary skills to manage websites
- knowing how to ensure compliance with Australian Government standards around design, accessibility, privacy, security and information/records management.
Some benefits GovCMS gives your agency include:
- Security patching, support and 24/7 monitoring.
- The platform is secure and regularly tested, updated and maintained to reduce risks to your website.
- It is easy to use and you don’t need to master HTML to be an administrator of your website.
- It's built on Drupal Open Source Software that allows agencies to reuse and adapt solutions from around the world.
- The templates provided support responsive web design. Your website will work effectively no matter what size device is being used.
Different types of web hosting
There are two hosting options available through GovCMS, Software as a Service (SaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS).
On the SaaS platform your hosting environment and the installation of the CMS (Drupal) is completely managed by the team at the Department of Finance. You manage your content, what the site looks like, and manage user access for editors and publishers. Finance manages the security patching, maintenance of the platform and completes a full security assessment.
If you choose the PaaS option, Finance is responsible for providing the hosting infrastructure, and our service provider is responsible for ensuring that infrastructure operates as expected, but updating the CMS application is your responsibility. You have freedom to install modules and configure the CMS, but you are also responsible for the ongoing security patching, maintenance and a more extensive IRAP assessment.
Different versions of Drupal
On SaaS hosting agencies can choose to use:
- GovCMS running Drupal 7
- GovCMS-8 built on Drupal 8
On PaaS hosting agencies are responsible for setting up and maintaining their own instance of Drupal. Any version of Drupal can be used, and any modules or plug-ins can be added. You are then also responsible for all maintenance and patching.